Since March 2018, I have worked as a senior content standards project manager, focusing on Macmillan’s EPUB content. I manage the SCSS, schema, and EPUB development projects, helping to ensure that our content adheres to industry standards for accessibility, quality, and readability.
In order to support the quality of our products, I assist in developing our Validator tool which checks against industry standards (Ace accessibility validator, HTML Validator, CSS Jigsaw Validator, and custom rules), troubleshoot EPUB issues, and develop workflows for EPUB products that feed directly into our courseware programs.
I updated Macmillan Learning’s EPUB accessibility standards to qualify for Benetech’s Global Certified Accessible credential starting for all our titles from 2019 onward. Additionally, representing Macmillan, I am currently working on a forthcoming IEEE standard and acted as the lead editor for the Web Publications Use Cases and Requirements, a note from the Publishing Working Group at the W3C.
From February 2017 to March 2018, I worked as a project manager for major reference works at Brill Academic Publisher. I managed a variety of online reference works, balancing deadlines and interacting with vendors, copyeditors, outside editorial boards, and internal acquisitions editors. I streamlined and improved the XML-based workflows for these projects. I also developed CSS- and HTML-based improvements on the reference works website with the platform team. Additionally, I consulted on EPUB workflows.
From September 2013 to the end of January 2017, I worked at F+W Media, managing the ebook workflow and developing an CMS-based XML-first workflow for the Adams Media group, which was later sold to Simon & Schuster. The CMS allowed us to leverage our content like never before, using one source for various outputs: InDesign, HTML, EPUB, and direct XML feeds for content licensing. The work at F+W allowed me to do a great deal of creative problem solving, collaborating and discussing with my colleagues, and overall making a more efficient and optimal workflow for the future.
From May 2012 to the end of 2016, I and five colleagues from Emerson College ran a science fiction/fantasy literary magazine called Strangelet. It involved us wearing a lot of different hats. At one point, I developed a new business plan for the press. While the editors handled the words, I handled the design: the print books, the ebooks, and the website.
Since 2013, I have worked a variety of freelance projects. I handled the ebook development for Litweaver for two years, creating a template for their series of young adult titles. I have created a variety of titles for Wise Ink Press, among them an enhanced children’s ebook (with music). I also worked with Library For All, a nonprofit developing digital libraries to expand accessibility to ebooks in the developing world. Additionally, I do freelance web design and development.
- Rice and Rocks, fixed-layout children’s book
- Litweaver Library, ebook development
- Your Dream Cakes, website
In 2019, my colleague Betsy Granger and I presented at Ebookcraft in Toronto. Our presentation was on developing a grid-like layout for Macmillan Learning’s EPUBs. We also presented on other options we considered.
In 2017, I was on a panel on repurposing content at Tech Forum in Toronto. I related my experiences with repurposing digital content, leveraging the XML-based CMS workflow of Adams Media at F+W Media.
I have a Master of Arts in Publishing and Writing from Emerson College and a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Florida. I have independently been studying web design and development since I started in publishing. Since so much of ebook development is HTML and CSS, it is a natural next step. Publishing exists not just in ink, but in pixels.
- GradeYouLater, single page web application
- Redivider, literary magazine
- Beowulf, book design
- Once Magazine
I am writing a fantasy novel, I like to play guitar, and I like cooking.
- Macmillan Learning. Senior Content Standards Project Manager (Since Mar 2018). Boston, MA.
- Brill. Project Manager, Reference Works (Feb 2017 to Mar 2018). Boston, MA.
- F+W. Senior Technical Production Specialist (Oct 2015 to Jan 2017), Technical Production Specialist (Dec 2014 to Oct 2015), Ebook Developer (Sep 2013 to Dec 2014). Cambridge, MA.
- Strangelet Press. Founding Partner; Art, Design, and Production Editor; and Web Designer (May 2012 to Nov 2016). Boston, MA.
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education. Production Assistant, Ebooks and Online Products (Jun 2012 to Sep 2013). Boston, MA.
- Archaeology Journal of America. Graphics and Editorial Assistant (May 2011 to Jun 2012). Boston, MA.
- Gainesville Student Business Services. Transcriptionist (Jan 2007 to Oct 2009), Quality Assurance (Oct 2009 to Dec 2009). Gainesville, FL.
- IEEE. Contributor, Reading Systems for Education Standard, work in progress (since Oct 2019)
- Publishing Working Group at the W3C. Editor, Web Publications Use Cases and Requirements Document. Contributor (since Mar 2018)
Selected freelance projects
- Wise Ink. Ebook development (Aug 2016, Oct 2016).
- Litweaver. Ebook development (Aug 2014 to Nov 2015).
- Your Dream Cakes. Web design and development (Dec 2015).
- Library For All. Ebook development and consultation (February 2016 through December 2017).
Internships and fellowships
- Shambhala Publications. Production (Sep 2011 to Dec 2011). Boston, MA.
- Carolyn Jenks Agency, Literary Agency. Agency Fellow (Sep 2010 to Jul 2011). Cambridge, MA.
- University Press of Florida. Editorial (Sep 2008 to Apr 2009), Design and Production (Aug 2009 to Dec 2009). Gainesville, FL.
- Redivider. Production Assistant (Dec 2010 to May 2011), Production Editor (May 2011 to Jun 2012). Boston, MA.
- Tea. Executive Designer (Aug 2008 to Apr 2010), Coeditor (Aug 2009 to Apr 2010). Gainesville, FL
- The Anole. Designer (Dec 2009 to May 2010). Gainesville, FL.
- Ebookcraft. Toronto, Canada. Presenter, Faking the Grid, 2019.
- Tech Forum. Toronto, Canada. 2017. Panelist, Repurposing Content, 2017.
- Emerson College, Master of Arts in Publishing and Writing, 2012. Graduate Dean’s Fellowship. Bookbuilders of Boston Scholarship.
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Bachelor of Arts cum laude in English, 2010.